December 28, 2011

Pulled Beef

As I walked through the supermarket aisles, an idea popped right into my head.  Pulled beef.

I quickly walked over to the open dairy case and found two chuck roasts (each 3 3/4 lbs.) that soon went into my shopping cart.

Here are the two Black Angus chuck roasts.  All of my rubs are homemade and  I love experimenting with new rubs when I BBQ.  Below is the list of ingredients in my rub for the pulled beef.  Keep in mind you may add as much heat as you want before or after these are smoked.  I usually prefer to add the heat into the rub prior to applying it to the beef.

You'll want to apply the rub liberally and plastic-wrap each roast when you're done.  I rub these the night prior to the smoke.
 

                    
                     Rub
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup Lawry's seasoned salt
  • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
  • 1/4 cup onion powder
  • 1/8 cup cayenne pepper



 The rub has been applied and now it's time to wrap these babies.
.
All wrapped-up.  
  
Now all that needs to be done is the actual cook.  If you've made brisket before, great.  Because that's exactly how you will cook these.  I love to smoke these over hickory or oak wood.  You'll want to smoke these roasts at 225(F) degrees until the internal temperature reaches 150F.  You will then have two options.  The first will be to allow the roast to cook over the smoke until it reaches 205F.  The other option is to wrap the roast in foil once it hits 150F and allow it to climb to 205F.  The latter method will allow you to capture the juices and apply the juices to the beef once it is pulled.

Once the beef is done, wrap each roast in foil and allow it to rest in a cooler for roughly 2 hours.  This will allow the juices to re-distribute throughout the meat and will not allow the beef to dry-out as quickly as it would if it were pulled as soon as it came off of the smoker.

Pulled beef can be served in a variety of ways.  I prefer to make sammies and apply some BBQ sauce to the meat.  It can be served with rice and/or potatoes as well.

I hope you enjoy this.



0 comments:

Post a Comment