February 9, 2012

LJ's BBQ - Pawtucket, Rhode Island

LJ's is a small establishment tucked away in a small shopping plaza.  As I walked toward the restaurant's entrance, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  Upon opening the doors and entering, I found it to be quite pleasant.

Initially, I thought this was a standard BBQ place that did not smoke its meats.  Part of this is actually true, as not everything here is smoked, but oven-roasted or baked.  However, the brisket on the sandwich I ordered was definitely smoked.  The menu said it is "finished on the grill," which I found very odd.  But, yes, the brisket did have grill marks on it when served.  Whatever.  It was still very tender and sliced super thin.  It was perfect.  The sandwich I ordered came with some kind of runny, bourbon BBQ sauce and was damned sweet (too sweet, actually).  I'd recommend the brisket be served with a tangier sauce - but that's just me.

Otherwise, I had a good experience at LJ's.

The waitress sold me there was no macaroni and cheese because it was in the process of "cooling."  Ok.  Weird.  And they did not have beef ribs, corn on the cob, or mashed potatoes available.  Keep in mind I ate at LJ's at 2:30 p.m. on a weekday.

I had read reviews about the pulled pork at LJ's but sadly I was not in the mood for it when I arrived.  I'm a brisket guy and just had to have it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment