December 28, 2011

Jerk Beef Short Ribs

If you've ever heard of the term "Dino Bones," well, here they are.

Dino bones are beef short ribs that are usually upwards of 8" in bone length.  I had the local butcher cut a 4 lb. slab of short ribs for me.  This is what they look like.  Notice the ribs have meat ON TOP of the bones unlike beef back ribs, which have most of the meat in between the bones.



I made a not-so-simple Jerk marinade.  Jerk usually consists of many ingredients.  I almost always make mine the same every time.  Except for these ribs, I substituted orange juice with pineapple juice because there was no OJ to be found in the fridge.  Without further ado, here's the marinade:

                Marinade
  • 3 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
  • 1/2 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 cup Orange juice (I used Pineapple instead)
  • 1/8th cup All spice
  • 1/8th cup Thyme
  • 1/8th cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger (I prefer fresh, if I have it)
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 Large Onion, chopped
  • Handful of Scallions, chopped
  • 4 cloves Garlic
  • Juice of 1 Lime
Put all of the ingredients into a blender and blend thoroughly.  The ingredients will turn into a nice paste if you've done this correctly.  Here goes the Jerk marinade.


Now we're ready to apply the marinade to the meat and refrigerate overnight.


I let the marinade soak into the meat for roughly 12-16 hours.

When you are ready to smoke the ribs, pull them from the marinade and place them directly onto the smoker.  And here go the ribs after being marinated.  They're ready for smoke.


Making Jerk anything requires patience.  You do not want to cook these at high heat and risk burning the marinade that is on the meat.  It contains sugar and will not taste very well if cooked that way.

Use whatever type of wood you have available.  I generally go with a more mild wood, such as apple or cherry, when smoking anything Jerk.

Allow the ribs to smoke at 215-225F for roughly 3 hours.  After this time period, you may wrap the ribs in foil and allow them to cook for two additional hours in the smoker.  If this is the route you take, be sure to put the ribs back onto the smoker (unfoiled) for about an hour so that they crisp-up.  This is called the "3-2-1" method.  I rarely use foil when smoking, so I smoke the ribs for roughly 6 hours until they are very, very tender.  You will not be disappointed in the finished product, believe me.





0 comments:

Post a Comment